The Witcher Workout

Discuss this post:
On the forums!
On Reddit!

geraltworkout

Note: This workout is divided up into four levels to easily plug into the RPG Fitness leveling system.

Required Equipment:

Pull Up Bar
Sledgehammer
Weighted Backpack/Vest
Sandbag
Sturdy Tire (or something to swing the sledgehammer at)

Strength:

Level 1 (beginner):

3×3-5 Chair-assisted pull ups
3×3-5 Kneeling push ups
3×3-5 Pike push ups (or wall push ups if you can’t do pikes yet)
3×3-5 Bodyweight squats
3×5-10 second planks

Level 2 (intermediate):

5×3-5 Pull ups
5×5-10 Push Ups
5×5-10 Pike push ups
5×5-10 Bodyweight squats
5×5-10 second planks

Level 3 (advanced):

5×5-10 Pull ups
5×5-10 Push ups (with 5-25 lb weighted backpack/vest)
5×3-5 Handstand push ups
5×5-10 Front Squats (with 25-50 lb sandbag)
5×15-20 second planks (with 15-30 lb weighted backpack/vest)

Level 4 (Witcher):

5×5-10 Pull ups (with 5-30 lb weighted backpack/vest)
5×5-10 Push ups (with 30-75 lb weighted backpack/vest)
5×5-10 Handstand push ups
5×5-10 Front Squats (with 55-100 lb sandbag)
5×15-20 second planks (with 35-50 lb weighted backpack/vest)

Strength Notes:

Geralt’s a strong dude, and I was tempted to do a full weights workout with this (bench, squat rack, etc.), but given his propensity in hand to hand combat, I decided to go with weighted bodyweight and sand based exercises instead.  Weighted bodyweight will help you learn to manage your body better, and sand lifts are great for developing extra hand strength and stabilizer muscles.

Cardio:

Level 1 (beginner):

20 minutes brisk walking
5-10 sledgehammer swings (each side)

Level 2 (intermediate):

20 minutes brisk walking and jogging (try to jog more than you walk, gradually working your way up to jogging the whole time)
10-15 sledgehammer swings (each side)

Level 3 (advanced):

20 minutes jogging
5 minutes sledgehammer swings (alternate sides back and forth for the full five minutes)

Level 4 (Witcher):

30 minutes jogging
10 minutes sledgehammer swings (alternate sides back and forth for the full five minutes, try to do these as fast as you can without hurting yourself)

Cardio Notes:

If this workout looks familiar to you, it’s because it’s actually the same as Ike’s!  It’s a great workout for anyone looking to wield a two-handed sword, and I figured don’t fix it if it’s not broken!  The sledgehammer swings are awesome for building core muscles, upper body endurance, and forearm strength.  Keep the pace up, and don’t ease up on your swings!

Schedule:

Day 1: Strength
Day 2: Cardio
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Strength
Day 5: Cardio
Day 6: Strength
Day 7: Rest

Schedule Notes:

This is our usual workout schedule.  If you’re just starting out, feel free to take an extra rest day (I’d personally pick either day 4 or day 6).  If you’re a seasoned veteran, I’d go down to one rest day.  As usual, listen to your body, and be careful!  It’s better to lose one or two days to rest than one or two months to injury!

That’s all for this week!  This Saturday I’ll be uploading my American Ninja Warrior audition on the  Youtube channel, but that’s not an OFFICIAL blog video, so you’ll still be getting one of those next Saturday!  Live boldly, change the world, and continue to be awesome!

Dan “DaRatmastah”  Wallace

PS:  Hey, all you new year’s resolutioners!  Did you know that posting a workout log in a public place gives you much better odds of sticking to your goals?  It’s also a great way to get feedback on your workouts!  Oh, and look at that, we have a forum devoted to that sort of thing!  Shocking!  😉

Want to see the next blog post NOW? Become a Patron and live one blog post in THE FUUUTUUUUUURRRE!

28 thoughts on “The Witcher Workout

1. Pingback: The Mind of Geralt | Be a Game Character

2. Pingback: Character Spotlight: Geralt of Rivia | Be a Game Character

3. Ash says:

Hey Dan, love the website! I’m a pretty slim guy looking to tone up and put on a lean physique without getting huge. Would the Witcher workout be better for that than, say, the Edward Kenway or the Nathan Drake workout?

• DaRatmastah says:

Hey Ash! Thanks for stopping by! If you’re looking to put on some muscle, my personal recommendation out of those three would be The Witcher Workout, yeah. Also remember to be taking in lots of protein! The general rule of thumb is to consume one gram of protein per pound of your bodyweight. =D Let me know if you have any more questions!

4. kamal kant says:

Hay ash! I am new to your website and i like your routines . I am a fat guy could you recommend me a workout routine to loose fat and gain some muscle.

• DaRatmastah says:

Medicine ball slams are good. Sledgehammers aren’t too expensive, though, and you can get an old tire to whack for free if you ask a mechanic nicely enough, so I’d recommend getting those ASAP. =D Not really a great replacement for the exercise.

5. Xavier says:

Hey-o, I’m a bit young, and a bit slimmer then I would like, would this workout be better for me to beef up and gain some strength in the process? Or would the Ezio workout be better?

6. Sabre Wolf says:

OK, so this will be my first workout. I don’t know how levels work. Is it just level 1 being days 1-7? Or am I doing level one for a week until I feel comfortable to move on to level 2? Because I can’t see 1 week…or 4 weeks of 4 levels each week doing anything. But then again, I’ve never worked out enough to see results. However I am fairly built, so I feel this is a workout worth tackling. But I just need to know scheduling recommendations please so I don’t screw up. Thanks anyone!

7. Jacques says:

Hello. I was training comfortably with a 15,5 lbs backpack (push ups, front squats, planks; pullups without the extra weight) using the advanced level of this workout. I had great results but suddenly after a few months of training i have experienced pain on the lower part of my back. Should i stop exercising with extra weights?

• DaRatmastah says:

Honestly, Jacques, that’s difficult to say without seeing your form and/or knowing the circumstances of when the pain occurred. I’d recommend talking to a doctor about it, personally.

• Jacques says:

The pain occured the next morning after my strength workout and lasted for 3 days. Then it stopped. However, will not using additional weight in my exercises compromise my strength gains? I care mostly about strength and endurance. Can you provide some advice regarding this? Thanks in advance.

• DaRatmastah says:

Well again, without seeing you perform the exercises, it’s difficult to say if you’re having a form issue causing this or not.

If I had to guess, it may be the planks causing the problem. You can cut those out completely and go for hanging leg raises if you’d like. Give that a shot and leave everything else the same and see what happens. Also pay attention to your back during your workout, see if there’s any particular exercises that are causing it to “twinge” while you’re performing them.

8. Louie says:

Hey. This workout and the solid snake one are the two I would think of doing. Is it possible to do one for one week and then the other the next, or is this ineffective?

• DaRatmastah says:

Personally, I’m not a fan of switching between workouts that frequently, and it’s generally ineffective for significant improvement, especially if they have two different goals. The Solid Snake workout is a much more muscular endurance and cardiovascular based workout. The Witcher Workout is much more strength based. I’d say pick which you’d rather prioritize, do that for eight weeks, and see where you’re at.

• Louie Kelly says:

Thanks, I think I’ll do snake as easier to get equipment. One more question, how effective is swimming as cardio? Ive been swimming for a few months and am wondering whether to keep at that or replace it with the cardio in the workout?

9. Kai says:

Hey, really like the idea of this workout and I think I’ll give it a try! I’m just too dumb to do the handstand push ups, do you have any tips for me? Or another exercise to replace them with?
    Keep up this amazing website!

• DaRatmastah says:

Hey Kai, glad you like the workout! I don’t think you’re too dumb for handstand push-ups! I’d love to help you out, though. What are your issues with doing them?

10. Anthony says:

Hey Dan, I’m a bit torn between doing this workout and Galen Marek’s workout. Both land nicely in the fighter and weapon user archetype, but it seems that Geralt’s is more strength based and will lead to more muscle mass. If I wanted to put on decent muscle mass then I’m assuming that Geralt’s workout would be the better suited of the two choices. Would that be correct?

11. Jordan says:

Hey Dan. I have a heart condition, so I can’t exactly do the jogging part of the cardio, but I can bike. So what do you think would be a good amount of biking to do compared to jogging. Like if the day says do 15 minutes jogging, should I do 15 minutes biking or so. Thanks!

• DaRatmastah says:

Honestly, that’s a conversation to have with your cardiologist/doctor. The general idea is to get your heart rate into 75%-85% of your maximum heart rate for at least 20 minutes when you’re jogging, but I don’t necessarily want to recommend any level of intensity to you if you have a pre-existing condition unless you’ve gotten explicit clearance from your doctor, first.